GOOGLE CHROME INTERNET SECURITY WARNING
Tens of thousands of websites are going to find themselves displaying an unsafe website warning unless they switch their SSL certificate before the 17th of April!
Is your website one of them?
Due to a decision by Google to stop trusting certain Symantec SSL-TLS issued certificates, visitors using the Chrome browser will soon be met with the following page when they visit websites that use them.
Read on to find out how to protect yourself from this very serious issue and make sure your site doesn't look like this after April 17th!
Will your customers buy off you if they see this?
Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from yourwebsite.com (for example passwords, messages, or credit cards)
This will also affect sites using certificates from Thawte, GeoTrust, and RapidSSL that rely on Symantec.
This change will come into effect when build 66 of Chrome is launched that is due for public release on April 17th, and even more sites will be affected from October 23rd when build 70 is released as all Symantec certificates will then be listed as not being trustworthy.
Globally almost 60% of people use Chrome, so it will become a serious problem for sites that haven’t changed their HTTPS certificates where necessary.
It is also understood that Mozilla's Firefox will also distrust Symantec-issued certs when their version 60 is released, which is due in May this year.
So, what can you do?
WebBoss is offering a Website Health Check that will report any concerns that need rectifying, but, not just for this SSL issue. It will also cover other areas that might need urgent attention such as GDPR compliance that becomes law in May, where non-compliance can lead to fines of €20m.
The website health check will cover:
- SSL certificate check to see if your site will display as trustworthy after the Chrome update.
- GDPR compliance check on data capture forms on your website.
- Responsiveness test – An important feature that affects Google search ranking.
- Included as part of your Website Health Check Report, WebBoss will also advise you of what actions you will need to take to rectify any issues that are detected.
- As a special bonus for everyone that signs up before 7th April, WebBoss will also provide a Free SEO Report (worth £100!) on your website that will highlight any areas that will help to improve the ranking position from web searches.
The free SEO report you will receive with this offer is a very comprehensive document consisting of over 50 pages of detailed information about your website’s online performance.
The Website Health Check Reports are processed on a first come - first served, bases and normally delivered within 3 working days *
*However, due to the Chrome update deadline approaching, the anticipated workload may extend delivery times beyond this. Therefore, we recommend booking your report asap to ensure you have sufficient time to make any changes to your website should any be required.